Old Fashioned Cardamom Orange Drink
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 teaspoons Cardamom
- 4 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey divided
- 3-4 dashes Angostura Bitters divided
- 4 teaspoons Cardamom simple syrup divided (see directions)
- 2 orange peels
- ice cube s
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- In each glass (this recipe makes 2 drinks), combine the 2 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey, 2 to 3 dashes of bitters and 2 teaspoons syrup.
- Add orange peel to each glass. Using a muddler, crush the orange peel into the drink to release the orange flavor.
- Add cinnamon stick, then let the drink rest for a few minutes.
- For the Simple Syrup
- In a small pot, bring the water, sugar and cardamom to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Note The simple syrup recipe will provide more syrup than needed to make this drink, but enough to make preparing the syrup worth the time it takes. Store extra syrup in the refrigerator for later. For more orange flavor, substitute an orange slice (with flesh) for the orange peel. Allow drink to rest for a few minutes, then stir to release flavor.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!